Monday, December 1, 2008

Euro(work) trip--Amsterdam

While working in Amsterdam, I was able to walk around the city and explore at night after work or in the early morning before my work started. Here are some snapshots from my time there. Overall, I think Amsterdam was an absolutely adorable and pleasant city that, quite frankly, I fell in love with. I certainly think I would be content and happy living there.

Although the weather was a bit of a downer, it was nice to feel the freshness of fall after hot, steamy Thailand. The food was delicious, the fashion was great, the people friendly, open and diverse. I met an incredible array of interesting people and people were willing to talk to me--a Spanish bartender approached me in Spanish; a group of Dutch women in a yoga class I was in invited me to dinner with them--people were incredibly approachable and interested to meet and talk to me, I never felt lonely even though I was traveling and spent most of my time alone.

What's also great is that Amsterdam is small enough that you can walk just about anywhere in the city--it feels like a small village. I didn't ride a bicycle because of the heavy rains, but chose to walk. It was quite refreshing, walking around a city--looking at things, taking in all in; you can't really walk in Bangkok because the sidewalks can kill and it's often too hot that you'd get sweaty. I took a tram to work, which was about 20 minutes away by tram, but each day I walked home, taking different routes, exploring different squares--Rembranstplein, Leidseplein--and neighborhoods.

Amsterdam is also incredibly beautiful--the architecture, the canals, the reflections and alleyways, tucked-away niches and cafes. It's certainly an inspiring city--an artist's oyster. Hope you all enjoy my snapshots!



Early morning sale of flowers


Canal at night


Street in the old city at night


In the Centrum by the train station


Canal by the Red Light District


The Wag


More picturesque canals


Graffiti art in the Centrum


Cafe in the Centrum


Famous Amsterdam coffee shops in the Centrum


Canals in and around the centrum

Street in the old city

No comments: